Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Blazing Stars and Cocktails



"I saw eternity the other night,
Like a great ring of pure and endless light, All calm as it was bright..."

A few nights ago I had a dream marked with the breath of the earthy and sublime. The sublime took my breath away. In a lodge with my husband and others I stepped out onto a large balcony into a jet black night. The balcony overlooked a coast; waves gently lapping, frothing. But what made my chest ache and keeps returning to me in glad bursts during quiet moments were the stars; golden and glorious, twinkling on the horizon, clustered in greater quantity than I've ever seen. After absorbing this sight till sweet gladness slipped down unto my toes I returned into the lodge to discover a party, my party, bustling with guests. Filling glasses left and right, I turned and heard myself ask, "Would you like a cocktail God?" God!? Drinking at my party? Not shocked; pleased, delighted? Slightly embarrassed. I poured His drink. Don't ask me what He had. All that remains is GLORY. Blazing stars and a party full of God.


"There is in God, some say,
A deep but dazzling darkness..."

Quotations taken from Henry Vaughan

1 comment:

martha said...

Welcome back! Blogland missed you.