Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hobbit Footin'

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never SeenRecently Rowan and I have been "hobbit footin' ". This is what my sweet three year old calls going barefoot. My dad just sent us a copy of Born to Run and my husband and I devoured it. It teaches about all sorts of aspects of running and inspired me to give running a chance sans shoes. I ditched them and have been surprised how much I like feeling the ground beneath my feet as I move. What used to be a chore for me has turned into play time. Supposedly this mode of movement is not only fun but is also how we were made to get around. We weren't created with cars or skateboards or shoes for that matter... just highly intricately designed feet. Therefore it is supposed to allow us to self correct our posture and stride - the sensations through our feet teach us what is proper and keep us from injury.

Meg at Sew Liberated wrote a great post about it here that I highly recommend. She also has great pictures of the 50 mile race described in the book.

No comments: